Common Types of Birds
There are over 10,000 species of birds.
Below is a list of most common types of birds.
1. Birds of Prey
They are also known as raptors and hunt and feed on other animals
Some of the most popular types of birds of prey are:
- Eagles - large birds with broad wings
- Ospreys, - specializes in catching fish.
- Kites They spend much of their time soaring. Feed on insects or even carrion..
- Buzzards are medium-large raptors, commonly known as "hawks" in North America.
- Harriers are large, hawk-like birds with long tails and long thin legs.
- Vultures occurs in the Eastern Hemisphere; and in the Western Hemisphere.
- Falcons are birds of prey with long pointy wings.
- Owls are hunting birds. They fly almost silently. They have particularly acute hearing.
2. Running Birds
The fastest running bird is the Ostrich.
It can run up to 43 mph (70 kph).
The ostrich is farmed for its feathers, which are decorative. Its skin is used for leather products and its meat is used commercially.
Roadrunneris another running bird type.
It is long-billed, long-legged and long-tailed bird.
Member of the cuckoo family. Roadrunner prefers to run rather than fly. On the ground it can move along at 17 to 22 miles per hour.
3. Perching Birds
They have small legs and can perch on power lines.
Some of the most popular perching birds are sparrows crows.
4. Aquatic BirdsWater birds are a large group of birds.
Some water birds are Common Loon, Cormorant, Heron, Mute Swan, Goose, Duck, Northern Pintail, Teal, Wood Duck, Greater Scaup, Bufflehead, and the Common Merganser.